You're Ready for PR When ...
1. Your branding is in tact. Can you clearly define who you are and what you do? Do you have a look that’s identifiable to your audience? If not, we need to start here.
2. You have a compelling product or service. Publicists don’t turn water into wine. (We'll save that for Jesus) Come with the wine and we’ll let people know why your specific brand is what they need. If you’re phone is already ringing with inquiries, that’s a good indication that you have a great product or service!
3. You have a budget. I repeat YOU HAVE A BUDGET. Whether you require a few hours a month, or several hours per week, it will require dollars. PR is an investment that can cost anywhere from $500 to $5,000 per month. Customized plans can be created to accommodate your specific goals and budget.
4. You have data. Who are you currently reaching? Where do they live? What are their interests? Where do they shop? Data helps determine where you are and can help you create targets for where you may be lacking.
5. You understand that publicists tell your story, build your credibility, and manage your public perception. Inquire about public relations when you’re ready to relinquish some control of your image and trust the process.
6. You have time. PR is a marathon, and not a sprint. This will require strategy phone calls or meetings, setting aside time for interviews, and generously organizing samples of your products for giveaways.
7. You’ve done your research. Who wants to answer questions that are already listed on their website? Check out your potential publicist's website, social handles, and former clients to see if they will be a good fit for you.
Side note: PR stands for public relations. Therefore, you cannot have “a PR." They are your publicist or PR Specialist.